Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday On The Ice

A windless Sunday in southeastern Wyoming is a rare bird indeed. George and I took advantage of the forecast calling for calm winds and sunny skies and had a beautiful day on some local hardwater. Temps topped out in the 20s but with the ice shack's passive solar and no wind to speak of, it felt great out there. We found a decent amount of rainbow trout in the 14 inch range with a couple nicer fish interspersed to keep things interesting. Shoe met up with us in the morning and did very well on the rainbows before moving on in search of perch elsewhere in the valley. I decided to keep one of the smaller rainbows for dinner which turned out to be a very delicious idea. Oven baked fresh rainbow trout after a day on the ice was the perfect ending to a wonderful day afield.

A nice trout George landed


My better rainbow for the day


Another pretty rainbow George is releasing

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not an ice fisherman (okay, I've been three times for a total of about 20 hours, zero fish and frozen parts - don't ask), but those are some nice accommodations and nice fish. Maybe I need to upgrade from the huddling in the fold-up chair to something spiffy like that to really appreciate ice fishing.

By the way, I did like the disappearing rod video - you just needed another 10 seconds to really top it off!

- scott c

wyoflyfish said...

Thanks Scott for stopping in... I am fairly new to the ice but have some great teachers in George and Shoe. I am thinking its going to consume a little bit of my fishing time this winter.

The video was so unexpected. I thought I had just gotten the release so was turning off the camera. The rod save was epic... wish I had left the camera on as well.