Thursday, January 22, 2009

Leeching For Browns

Another quick lunch trip for brown trout resulted in my best "quick trip" fish so far this year. Furious leaping and tail walking capped of a great sparring match on the three weight with this beautiful trout. I still can't quite understand their fury for the leech but I am reluctant to mix up flies when this continues to work so well. The weather forecast is calling for a change tomorrow. I hope the bite continues through the coming cold snap predicted over the next five days.

4 comments:

Chris said...

solid work for a quick lunchtime outing. hard to believe stuff isn't frozen solid right now. i noticed a few posts back that the reef isn't even frozen.

wyoflyfish said...

Everything around here has open water. If it lasts for any length of time I am hoping to maybe find a couple of my favorite stillwaters with at least partial access this weekend. I would imagine most of the fort is open after this week?

Anonymous said...

That's great that you can do that during lunch (I only have a 30 minute lunch, but I am done by 2:30 and can be on the water by 3:00 on a work day). Is it stillwater or river? Do you get waders, etc. on, or just bank fish? And, most importantly, do you wash your hands afterward, or do you purposely wave them around your other fishing workmates so they are jealous?

-scott c

wyoflyfish said...

Hey Scott,
Its moving water... the stillwaters are not close enough to town for an effective trip at lunch. I just go and cast from the bank. I did wear my dirty jeans with pride the rest of the day. I knelt down to land and release that brown and got mud all over them.