Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Evening In The River Canyon

I managed an after work trip into the canyon in search of brown trout. The fish were elusive and even with the onset of dusk and the following darkness, the browns were keeping their heads down in the low water. The flows have dropped off and wet wading was a comfortable, welcomed relief. Three fish mouthed the brown bugger through out the night but none of the takes resulted in a hook up. I drank in the canyon scenery and hiked further downstream to a favorite hole than the light probably allowed. Even the deep hole was suffering from the lower water flows. On the way out the caddis were dancing everywhere and still no activity. I will focus my efforts on the high country until the fall temperatures start to favor the river trout again.

River scene in the canyon


An "elderly resident" I met on the hike

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tis the season for low water flows--usually. Our local river is still running a bit higher than normal for this time of year. All the spring rain is still having an affect. I like the inclusion of the B&W shots. I hope the higher water treats you a little nicer!