Monday, January 2, 2012

First Trip Of 2012

Even as woefully behind on the blog as I am (expect some coming historical post to catch up on the fall season), the draw of a new trip in the new year was too much to resist.  I was out the door and scouting water on a day that felt down right balmy for January.

I managed to nab the sometimes elusive first fish on the fly for the 2012 season.  A nice brown trout.... hopefully a good omen for the new year.
First fish of 2012
The first two fish hookups on the day I managed to LDR.  They were nicer browns and hot dancers on the three weight.  It was just an all around beautiful day to be out and about - sunny, windless and 50 degrees.  I missed a few other strikes and of course spooked out a few fish here and there.  It felt like April and all I could think about was the coming of spring.  There will be more winter to come, but a few days like this sprinkled in amongst the storms will help me bide my time until the inevitable blossoms of spring.
Another pretty brown trout on the hot head leech

2 comments:

BLUEANGLER said...

Very cool! Sam,

Happy new year!!! I haven't touch any fish yet, so you are running in front of me! what a beautiful fish!! : )
take care,

Mark

wyoflyfish said...

Thanks Mark! I hope you had a great holiday season as well. I think 2012 is going to be a great year on the water for us all.