Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Evening On The River - Thanks Ralph

I went out in search of a few trout this evening. The river is down, clearing and fishable. The three weight delivered the royal wulff and a para adams into the current admirably. It also performed well swinging a bugger for a while. Nothing seemed to be going on so I started to watch the water. Eventually some small fish began rising warranting a return to the para adams. This produced some nice drifts in front of these little rascals. I was getting take after take but not many hookups, they were so tiny the few I did hook were flying through the air and off the hook before I could even think about landing them. Finally one came to hand, a pretty little common shiner. Nice to see you my native friend and in a river in which you belong. I snapped some pictures and away he went. Storms to the south dropping lightning strikes, the overhead commotion of a hawk being chased by blackbirds, wildflowers and cacti along the path to the water... it doesn't get much more relaxing than an evening like this. Thanks Ralph Hesson. I hope you were looking down with a smile on some of the joy you created for me tonight.

2 comments:

E Dub said...

You need to save some of those shiners for me for ling bait.

BLUEANGLER said...

Nice writing. There is times to pay attention to those little friends and the wild creatures along the river banks... : )