Sunday, June 21, 2009

Chairlift To The Skies And Ancient Seas

Faeron and I headed for a mid morning chair lift ride to the top of Freds Mountain at Grand Targhee to get a nice view of the peaks and the surrounding valley. It was a beautiful morning to be at the top and although the clouds came and went we had some great views. At the top of this mountain also lies the bottom of an ancient sea as evidenced by the fossils embedded in the rocks at nearly 9900 feet above sea level. Referencing the geological map for Wyoming it appears to be Mississippian era seabed (about 320 - 360 million years old) from my admittedly amateur investigation. I can't identify any of these really except for a piece of a crinoid in one of the photos. These are macro photos so they are fairly close up. I wish I had a little better scale in them. If you know what any of these fossils are please post a comment. I would be very grateful.

No comments: