Sunday, July 3, 2011

First High Country Trip Of The Year

I couldn't wait any longer and had to head up to check out what the open water situation was at 11,000 feet. There is no way around it... the high country snow that is. I just had to climb over it and stagger/slide my way around the lake to open water areas. There were many large ice flow chunks that had been piled up on the west side of the lake from the wind. I couldn't get to my normal favorite wading spot but did fish from the enormous shore drifts. I had a little interest from some very snaky and cold bear river cutthroats. The fishing wasn't super hot but the scenery was beautiful and it really felt great to be up in the high country in the cool temps and knowing we could possibly still yet salvage a backcountry season on the high lakes. The only drawback is that it may be mid-August before that happens without snowshoes being an essential part of the equation.

Lake view

These poor cutts had a long winter under the ice judging from their condition

No comments: