Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day With Mark And Jake

I headed south of the border to spend the day with Mark and to see how fall fishing is shaping up in the North Park region.  His faithful companion Jake was there to greet me as I pulled up.  Mark was already on the water working to the fish and his friend Connell was out in his pontoon as well.  Setting up the tube as quickly as I could, I got launched and started nymphing in the hunt for trout at depth.  I had some hits and hookups but nothing actually landed with the nymphing setup.  As the bite tapered off we had lunch and heard that top water had been working at the other end of the lake in the shallows.  I switched over the the grasshopper and kicked out just off shore casting back to the shallows right where the vehicles were sitting and got into nice cuttbows and rainbows that were cruising the shore in search of easy pickings.  The hopper saved the day fishing wise, and although it was generally slow, I had a great time getting out to see Mark and spend some time visiting at his seasonal "home away from home" on his favorite lakes.

Connell landing a rainbow

Mark nymphing and relaxing

The surrounding terrain

Jake

A better cuttbow that fell for the hopper

No comments: